- Zeit weekly
- Faculty Business Management, Economics, Engineering a. m.
- Credit Points 5
- Workload / Duration 24 h
- Kategorie History & Culture
This course has consisted of two main parts. The first part, four weekly meetings will be given in the form of lectures, focusing in history. Particular attention is given on historiography of nation-building, religions, society and culture of Indonesia. The last four remaining weekly meetings is in the form of presentations and discussions of topical issues based on previous readings assignment. Students will introduce assigned readings and choose a specific topic for group research (a group of five), culminating in a paper of about 20 pages and give presentation before the class.
- To broaden and deepen the students’ cultural (political, social, religious, historical, art)
knowledge of and insight Indonesia.
- To understand the development of tourism in Indonesia, particularly in Bali.
Both oral and written presentations are required.
Mode of instruction:
The course combines lectures with presentations and discussion.
1. Nusantara; history of pre-modern and colonial periods, Lecture
2. History of Indonesia I: Sumatra and Sulawesi, Lecture
3. History of Indonesia II: Bali and the structure of Hindu temples, Lecture
4. Art and Culture: the influence of “local” culture in creating a piece of art (Weekly presentation based on the readings), discussion
5. History of tourism in Indonesia, Lecture
6. Cultural and ecotourism; case study (Weekly presentation based on the readings), discussion
7. Impact of tourism: advantages and disadvantages (Weekly presentation based on the readings), discussion
8. Class Assignment: analyzing Submission paper