- Zeit weekly
- Faculty Engineering
- Credit Points 5
- Workload / Duration 74 h in total
- Kategorie Renewable Energy
The course aims to introduce the basic concepts, principles, uses, challenges of various renewable energy
sources and devices including bio-energy, solar energy, wind energy, micro-hydro, wave and tidal power,
geothermal and fuel cells,. Students will develop the ability to identify, formulate and solve simple to complex
problems of renewable energy conversion. Students will know and understand contemporary issues pertaining
to the energy, environment and society from global perspectives.
The main goals of this class are:
- To gain an understanding of the practical use and challenges as well as cost-benefit ratio of various
alternative energy sources, to see what is feasible on the large scale and what is not.
- To understand some of the various obstacles associated with actual implementation of production line
alternative energy facilities.
- To do simple calculations regarding the cost of energy usage and the required infrastructure to deliver
a certain amount of power
Mode of instruction:
The course combines lectures with presentations and discussion.
1. Renewable Energy: An introduction
2. RE from Biomass I
3. RE from Biomass II
4. RE from tidal and wave power
5. RE from collector solar energy
6. RE from PV solar energy
7. RE from hydro
8. RE from wind
9. RE from geothermal
10. RE from fuel-cell
11. Study field, Class Seminar and case studies I & II